Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Saturday July 20 Day 5 Venice

Rise and shine – time to pack up and say “Arrivederci Roma” and head for Venice. Our mode of travel for today: elevator from apartment, to a car and driver, who will take us to the airport, to board a plane to Venice and when we land, a water taxi to our hotel. Sounds like a movie.

Nice smooth flight – about 40 min. to Venice. After lunch at the airport, headed for our water taxi. What can I say about our approach to this canal city? WOW! The driver slowed down and we stood up in the boat to take in the view. Beautiful sunny, hot day, boats cruising along to bring their passengers to their destinations; meeting gondolas, smoothly driven by their gondoliers with long poles, and passengers sitting on their comfortable seats enjoying every minute of their ride. The buildings on either side of the canals are big and old and so interesting.  Colourful flowers hang out in some window boxes--- There are no cars, trucks scooters or bikes in Venice. You take a water taxi or walk to your destination. It truly is a magical city.

I think the best way to describe Venice is through pictures 


Here we are in our private water taxi to our hotel. Is that George Clooney incognito sitting next to me?

There were so many other water taxis --- some private and some public.

One of the many canals between buildings. So awesome. Unlike no other city.

Rialto Bridge over the Grand Canal
This is one of the many streets between buildings --- some get very narrow. You feel dwarfed by the tall buildings on either side of you. We walked to our hotel pulling our suitcases behind .... twist and turns. How did we not get lost?  

Tom & Michael in front of our hotel. Notice the rustic walls and block walkway. 
I was pretty excited about walking over our first bridge in Venice. Sandy & Michael had told us there were many bridges. I found out there are 354 bridges in Venice. We might have missed just  a few.

Michael, Tom & Sandy in St Mark's Square. A huge gathering place with stores and restaurants all around the perimeter.

This is St Mark's Church facing the square. It is where the remains of St Mark the apostle are. Beautiful inside. There are 128 churches in Venice!


Did I mention there are many pigeons in the square? A fellow came up to me and before I knew it I had a handful of birdseed. All I remember is Sandy saying "No mom. Don't take it" I felt like the bird man from Alcatraz as they pounced on my hand. Peck, peck , peck on my hand until I dropped the seed and then they had a party around my feet! Then the fellow came back looking for payment! Inexpensive memory.


                                      Little dinner and vino to end our first great day in Venice.

2 comments:

  1. I'm just lovin'your blog!!!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is soooo fun to read...yes you do need to put it in a book

    ReplyDelete